NWRI Expert Panel and DDW Advisory Group
Development of Water Recycling Criteria for Indirect Potable Reuse through Surface Water Augmentation and the Feasibility of Developing Criteria for Direct Potable Reuse
State Water Resources Control Board
Division of Drinking Water
2013 – Present
In 2013, NWRI appointed state and national water industry experts to an independent, third-party Expert Panel to provide expert advice to the State of California on developing Water Recycling Criteria for indirect potable reuse (IPR) through surface water augmentation and determining the feasibility of developing criteria for direct potable reuse (DPR).
The Panel has been formed on behalf of the State Water Resources Control Board's Division of Drinking Water (DDW) (formerly known as the California Department of Public Health's Drinking Water Program) and is administered by NWRI. The panel is required by state legislation in the California Water Code Section 13560-13569 (Water Code).
The Panel is charged with the following:
- Advise DDW on public health issues and scientific and technical matters regarding the development of surface water augmentation (IPR) criteria.
- Advise DDW on public health issues and scientific and technical matters regarding the feasibility of developing criteria for DPR.
- Assess what, if any, additional areas of research are needed for establishing criteria for DPR.
Members of the DDW Expert Panel in July 2014.
About the Panel
The Panel is made up of 12 experts in the fields of toxicology, wastewater treatment, drinking water supplies treatment, drinking water standards, epidemiology, limnology, microbiology, and chemistry.
Panel members include:
- Co-Chair: Adam Olivieri, Dr.P.H., P.E., EOA, Inc. (Oakland, CA)
- Co-Chair: Jim Crook, Ph.D., P.E., Water Reuse & Environmental Engr. Consultant (Boston, MA)
- Michael Anderson, Ph.D., University of California, Riverside (Riverside, CA)
- Richard Bull, Ph.D., MoBull Consulting (Richland, WA)
- Dr.-Ing. Jörg E. Drewes, Technische Universität München (Munich, Germany)
- Charles Haas, Ph.D., Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA)
- Walter Jakubowski, M.S., WaltJay Consulting (Spokane, Washington)
- Perry McCarty, Sc.D., Stanford University (Stanford, CA)
- Kara Nelson, Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
- Joan B. Rose, Ph.D., Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI)
- David Sedlak, Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
- Tim Wade, Ph.D., United States Environmental Protection Agency (Durham, NC)
Meeting #1 – March 5, 2014 Conference Call
The Panel first met during a half-day meeting held on March 5, 2014, using web-enabled conference call services. The specific focus of the meeting was to learn about DDW's mandate, review the current version of the California Direct Potable Reuse Initiative Research Plan and other current DPR research activities, and comment upon what, if any, additional areas of research are needed for establishing criteria for DPR.
Panel reports based on this conference call meeting include:
Meeting #2 – July 24-25, 2014, in Orange County, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held on July 24-25, 2014, at the Orange County Water District in Fountain Valley, California. The specific focus of the meeting was to review the State mandate and Panel Charge, provide DDW staff with an opportunity to brief the Panel on their initial draft Surface Water Augmentation Criteria, begin Panel discussions on the draft as well as interact with DDW staff, receive an update on DPR research efforts to date, and initiate discussions on an approach for assessing the feasibility of DPR criteria. As of October 2014, a Panel report is in development and will be released soon.
Panel reports based on this conference call meeting include:
Meeting #3 – December 11-12, 2014, in San Diego, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel twas held on December 11-12, 2014, in San Diego, California. On Day One of the meeting, representatives from DDW presented the draft reservoir criteria for indirect potable reuse projects. On Day Two, the Expert Panel discussed the proposed criteria, focusing on determining if they were adequately protective of public health. The outcomes of meetings #2 and #3 were documented in the Draft Panel Meeting Report: Panel’s Initial Discussions on the Draft Surface Water Augmentation IPR Preliminary California Regulation Concept, which was submitted to DDW on February 18, 2015.
Meeting #4 – March 11-12, 2015, in Richmond, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held on March 11-12, 2015, in Richmond, California. At this meeting, the Panel accomplished the following: (1) continued reviewing the State Board’s draft criteria for surface water augmentation; (2) reviewed and worked to finalize the draft Panel report on Reservoir Criteria from Meeting #3, (3) discussed the draft national DPR framework document currently in development by an expert panel funded by the WateReuse Association; and (4) finalized the Panel report from meeting #2.
Meeting #5 – June 2-3, 2015, in Orange County, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held on June 2-3, 2015, in Irvine, California. At this meeting, the Panel accomplished the following: (1) wrote final comments on the State Board’s draft criteria for surface water augmentation; (2) discussed issues related to reliability and analytical tools as they are concerned with DPR, and (3) discussed content for the Meeting #5 Report.
Direct Potable Reuse in California Specialty Seminar on September 23, 2015
The purpose of the Specialty Seminar on Direct Potable Reuse in California was to discuss and review issues related to DPR that will be addressed by the Expert Panel. This event was co-sponsored by NWRI, State Water Resources Control Board, and UC Berkeley School of Public Health. Participants included regulators, academics, consultants, practitioners, and others interested in potable reuse in general and DPR in particular. To learn more about the event, visit www.nwri-usa.org/dpr-seminar.htm.
Meeting #6 – September 24, 2015, in Berkeley, California
Following the "Direct Potable Reuse in California" Specialty Seminar held September 23, 2015, the Expert Panel met in Berkeley, CA, to discuss information shared at the Specialty Seminar and how this relates to the Panel's questions regarding of the feasibility of developing DPR criteria for the State of California.
After the meeting, the Panel incorporated their findings and recommendations for DDW into Report #6. The following topics are addressed in the report: (1) Draft IPR-SWA Criteria Panel finding and updated draft IPR-SWA criteria titled “Surface Water Augmentation Using Recycled Water,” prepared by the State Board DDW staff and dated September 17, 2015, and (2) Approach to address the Panel direct potable reuse (DPR) charge per the California Water Code. The report is available for download from the link below.
Meeting #7 – December 1-2, 2015, in Orange County, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held December 1-2, 2015, in Orange County, California. The report produced by the Panel as a result of the meeting is available for download from the link below.
Meeting #8 – February 2016, in Berkeley, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held in February 2016 in Berkeley, California. The report from the meeting is forthcoming.
Meeting #9 – March 2016, in Orange County.
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held in March 2016 in Orange County.
Meeting #10 – April 2016, in Berkeley, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was be held in April 2016 in Berkeley, California.
Meeting #11 – May 2016, in Orange County, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel was held in May 2016 in Orange County, California.
Meeting #12 – June 2016, in Orange County, California
A two-day meeting of the Panel will be held in June 2016 in Orange County, California.
About the Advisory Group
An Advisory Group was established by DDW to provide advice on DPR to the Expert Panel and DDW. The Advisory Group is required by the Water Code. The Advisory Group is composed of 15 members representing environmental organizations, public health organizations, taxpayer advocate organizations, water and wastewater agencies, government agencies, and others in California. Members includes:
- Chair: Garry Brown, Orange County Coastkeeper
- Randy Barnard, DDW (previously CDPH)
- Amy Dorman, City of San Diego
- Conner Everts, Environmental Justice Coalition for Water
- Jim Fiedler, Santa Clara Valley Water District
- Julie Labonte, Water and Energy Committee, San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Al Lau, Padre Dam Municipal Water District
- Bruce Macler, Ph.D., United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Traci J. Minamide, City of Los Angeles, Bureau of Sanitation
- Edward Moreno, MD, MPH, California Conference of Local Health Officers, Monterey County
- Keith Solar, San Diego County Taxpayers Association
- Frances Spivy-Weber, California State Water Resources Control Board
- Ray Tremblay, County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County
- Andria Ventura, Clean Water Action
- Mike Wehner, Orange County Water District
Advisory Group Meetings
- Public Meeting No. 1 – February 21, 2014
- Public Meeting No. 2 – July 11, 2014
- Public Meeting No. 3 – November 10, 2014
- Public Meeting No. 4 – February 20, 2015
- Public Meeting No. 5 – May 1, 2015
- Public Meeting No. 6 – July 29, 2015
- Public Meeting No. 7 – October 22, 2015
- Public Meeting No. 8 – January 19, 2016
- Public Meeting No. 9 – March 3, 2016
- Public Meeting No. 10 – April 8, 2016
- Public Meeting No. 11 – June 15, 2016
- Link to DDW's webpage on the Expert Panel.
- View NWRI’s resources on water reuse.
- Sign up for email updates on activities of the Expert Panel.
- Learn more about Recycled Water Regulations and Guidance on the DDW website.